Middle-Earth World > 3D Model Places

Place List

(1/3) > >>

Redrobes:
A list compiled by Monks. I will try to maintain links to any threads about them and categorize them into items we have done, under construction and would like.

Would Like:
Roads: Great East road, Great North Rd (Greenway).
Isengard
Weathertop ruins.
Argonath
Bree
Doors of Moria. Although that would need a lake.
Rivendell- needs a valley
Hobbiton, or a hobbit hole
Green Dragon at Bywater
Crickhollow
Last Bridge- that needs a river.
The Forsaken Inn.
Tom Bombadil's House
Barrow downs - ie, tumuli
Edoras
Helm's Deep
Minas Tirith
Pelennor
Osgiliath
Harlond
Pelargir
Minas Ithil/ Minas Morgul
Erech Stone
Moria...haha,..yeh right...
Durin's Stair
Caras Galedhon in Lorien
Wellinghall Treebeard's home.
Quickbeam's House.
Derndingle.
Dol Guldur (dependent on time setting)
Amon Lhaw- near Rauros where Frodo flees Boromir
Morannon Gate
Isenmouthe
Barad Dur
The Carrock where Beorn lives
Lake Town- needs lake
Dale
Carn Dum
Thranduil's realm in Mirkwood.
Annuminas ruins
Site of the Troll camp in the Hobbit.
The Beacons of Gondor

Being Done:
Amon hen - By Vellum, Thread

borosphere:
Can I just throw a handful of spanners in the works? Sorry about this...

Isengard: twice in the book it says that Orthanc did not look to be made by any craft. I assume this means it's just a pinnacle of rock, which saves a lot of work.

West door of Moria: there was no lake at this time.

Hobbiton: hobbits only moved to the Shire in TA1601 so not much there yet.

No Green Dragon I'm afraid. No Bywater. Or Crickhollow.

Edoras: nope, the Rohirrim hadn't arrived yet. Gondorian settlements and those Dunlander ancestors in the Westfarthing, probably.

Helm's Deep: not sure. The fort was there but how much of it is difficult to say. Gondorian construction.

Minas Tirith: nope. It was still called Minas Anor and the White Tower hadn't been built yet.

Osgiliath was still thriving, not ruined, although the King moved the centre of government to Minas Anor in 1640.

Minas Ithil: Aah! the Tower of the Moon! A wondrous sight, so I've heard. Still occupied by Gondor.

Moria: still a great dwarf kingdom. Knock yourselves out with that one.

Dol Guldur: ummm...not sure.

Amon Llaw: same as Amon Hen but with bats? :D

Morannon Gate: Sauron wasn't around then so may not have been there. Watch this space (or that space)

Barad Dur: nope, just the foundations.

The Carrock: not where Beorn lives, just an island hill in the Anduin. (Don't mention the river.)

Lake Town, Dale: needs more research.

No troll camp. Sorry.

No point in beacons; no Rohirrim to summon. Rats!

I'd add Cirith Ungol, much nicer than in the film, still occupied by Gondor.

Fornost, capital of Arthedain. Situated at the end of the Greenway, to the north of Bree.

Grey Havens and the three towers. The tallest tower had a palantir which only looked West to Eressëa. But that's a whole different project.

So.. yeah. I'll get off now shall I?

monks:
Heh  ;) ...thanks for taking the time. Since this is isn't actually a game but a visualisation it doesn't really have to be consistent in that way. IT IS NOT A GAME. A modeller could simply model a location and showcase it in the Outerra Engine in the landscape. There could also be different versions of models and locations at different times or simply different models made by different people. Perfectly possible.

monks

Redrobes:
The way I was thinking this would work is that we have a collection of optional places to put into the terrain (maybe several versions of the same place from different modellers or at different time points) and you can pick some or all of them as desired. I would think that the base terrain would have a setting date but in general most of it would not change too much in a limited time period.

This is a mighty good post tho and does highlight up that we must choose either a) we need to very specifically nail down the time and run it to that exact spec or b) have it more variable.

It would be very cool to have a listing of quotes, references and supporting information pointers listed against each of the places / items showing where in the books, atlases, letters etc that any shape information has come from. Kinda like the wikipedia insisting on their supporting background references even to things that are generally taken as fact.

I would be very keen to have the terrain in the style that Tolkien had imagined not so much what P.J and his films had imagined. Whilst I am sure they do match for much of the time I would like to have the references from the sources about such places without having to reread them over and over just to check. As Monks knows, I am an M.E klutz so I need all the help I can get.

I don't know what to think about Orthanc. If it was not made by craft maybe that means it was made using magical means instead of being made via worked stone. If instead it means it was a natural promontory then it would seem odd to call it a tower. But this is a very good discussion point.

So thanks borosphere, that was an extremely useful post.

monks:
 I don't think it really matters that much. Just think of the project as a kind of sandbox for visualisation. So, my choice is with b. Or as a compromise choose two times, T.A 1600s and time of War of the Ring. I think that pretty much covers everything. T.A 1600s was chosen by default as that's the time that our role playing sources are set and for which we have architectural references. The other source is the P.J films, which are set in the time of the W.o.t.R. But, I think in most cases we could shift our choice to the latter of the two, as most of the buildings from T.A would still be preserved. So cheers borosphere for pointing those things out. Maybe we should go with the later date. Thinking about it...I don't think we have the same considerations that ICE had at all. They set their material in T.A 1640 for political and gameplay reasons. That time was chosen because it was in equilibirium but with enough antagonisms to make it interesting. At 1640, one could see the beginnings of the Shire with Hobbits in it. I think they thought that the time of the W.ot.R might be problemmatic for folks wanting more freedom exploring and making their mark on a more or less blank canvas. It would also perhaps be a little easier for beginning characters to survive in.
 So, I'm fine with moving the core focus to the much more dramatic time. But I'm also open to folks to creating stuff from other post Cataclysm times.

monks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version