Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
 on: February 03, 2020, 01:56:19 pm 
Started by bburns - Last post by hellricer
Hey monks, is there any update? I'm mainly interested in the workflow textfile you mentioned to get better understanding of the overall process.

I had set up both GM and WM and have made some progress in learning how to use them.

Also, I'm still a bit confused about the 10K DEM - I noticed that it's combined from four parts with quite noticeable "seams" in the middle. As I understood it, it was generated from vector contours data, right? Are those available anywhere? (I suppose it's not the 'Contours_18' layer in GIS, which is much less detailed.)

Thanks a lot!

on: November 30, 2019, 04:13:02 pm 
Started by bburns - Last post by monks
I've just opened the global mapper package file in GM 14.2.3 which was the latest one I used in the workflow. It is a zipped .gmp file at 3.6 GB. Not tested its compatibility with the latest version of GM. All of the necessary filers are zipped in that file. There are a vast number of other files and packages and projects which are not included in that file as they are not needed for the Outerra build run. As a whole all of this comprises the project data.
 There is also a workflow .txt which details the workflow I used. There are also lots of other procedures and processes outlined in that too.

I'm going to have poke around today and determine which files are the central ones to the project. Get some kind of idea of what's what.

on: November 20, 2019, 12:59:37 am 
Started by bburns - Last post by jvangeld
Respect and appreciation to you, Monks.

on: November 09, 2019, 04:36:32 pm 
I'm uploading the data to my Google Drive. It will take another two weeks at least. There will be a fair amount of data in there that is not necessary to have. I need to organize it once it's on there. I also intend to reconstruct the Global Mapper project file and the World Machine project file. All of the files will be missing from the directories so I'll have to reconstruct a folder with the files in them and point the apps at them. So. we're talking prob 3 weeks on this at least.

monks

on: November 03, 2019, 04:28:13 pm 
ok cool...that's one half of what's needed. Storage is there now. Uploading it all will take weeks though.
 Mike at Global Mapper -reinstate hfz- sure he'll do it....ahh yeh hfz fine. cool.

The other half is World Machine.

The whole idea was to use industry standards and treat the map as if it were 'real'- that is use GIS mapping software. Because, as Tolkien stated, M-E IS Earth but set back in history- an alternate timeline. There was no proprietary format of course for it.

monks

on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:35 pm 
Started by bburns - Last post by hellricer
Me and Brano will split the project storage over 2 Google Drives around 65 GBs of space.

monks

That is really great news!

Forgive me for being pesky, but I think this nicely illustrates why people should always thrive to keep data of this character in open formats...

Keeping the works in proprietary formats makes you "vendor locked-in" to the software (in this case not exactly cheap one either), which in this case even obsoletes some crucial features in latest versions.  I completely realize that often times there might not be good-enough alternative ­— I'm just making a general remark.  Shapefiles, .bt files, etc. are IMHO step in the right direction.

Anyway, I did manage to get a copy of GM v13 and I could open some example HFZ files from L3DT website just fine.

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about how to use the software yet, or what is actually unfinished or "in-progress" :D But I would be very interested in learning as much of the workflow as possible!

I can't get Outerra running, but that's something I can live without for now.

on: October 27, 2019, 10:13:34 pm 
 Me and Brano will split the project storage over 2 Google Drives around 65 GBs of space.

monks

on: October 26, 2019, 04:02:01 pm 
Yeh, don't panic Brian, this release of the data was not aimed at you!  ;D lol You've done some good stuff with the maps. Any interest is great. I've posted a link to your stuff on FB.

Personally I doubt if anyone will be forthcoming, but it's worth a go. Brano has offered to put the data on their server. He also mentioned a Google Drive. So, I think hosting of the data can be worked out.

monks

on: October 26, 2019, 12:14:38 pm 
Started by bburns - Last post by bburns
I hope you find some maintainers - I posted a map to reddit, and mentioned that you're looking for people - https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/dncyxc/map_of_middle_earth/.

And we moved the curved labels to jvangeld's ME-GIS repo, and I added the 10k DEM to the arda repo, so other people could play around with it - https://github.com/bburns/arda.

I might not have much time for the map for a while, but hope to get back to it eventually!

on: October 24, 2019, 12:10:36 pm 
I'm going to just cut to the chase and post about this on the Outerra Boards. I'm pretty sure I've got all the data and I know what's needed. I'll probably drop Brano an email too since I think the Outerra community is the best place for this.

monks

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10