Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
 on: January 20, 2017, 11:59:16 pm 
Started by stephenc - Last post by jvangeld
Hi Stephen,

Sorry about the delay. Yes, you can do that. I am curious how you plan to display your progress? Would it be like the number of miles walked displayed along the Fellowship's path?

on: October 24, 2016, 08:15:55 pm 
Started by stephenc - Last post by stephenc
Hi, I've come across your project on github.

https://github.com/jvangeld/ME-GIS

My department at work is having a walking challenge, walking laps of the building for exercise during the day.  For fun we'd like to plot our collective progress using your map of middle earth.  This is just for fun and exercise.  Would we have your permission to use this data?

Stephen 

on: March 04, 2016, 04:25:57 am 
Started by elenaran - Last post by jvangeld
Hi Pflinch, welcome to ME-DEM!

I don't know if Monks will be able to provide a DEM. It sounds like his backups are a bit scattered right now. But I added the Contours_18 layer and the HelperContours layer to the GitHub repository. They were generated from our DEM several years ago. I hope they are useful, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Jeremy

on: February 23, 2016, 11:32:32 pm 
Started by elenaran - Last post by pflinch
Hi Monks,

I'm Pflinch, from Spain, I'm an archaeologist specialized in human mobility models using GIS. In a few months I'll be participating in a conference about "Archaeology in fantastic universes", who will take place in the Complutense University of Madrid. This event has been organized primarily for educational purposes, trying to teach history and archaeology to the students in a funny way.
For my paper I thought about making some archaeological GIS studies in the Midde Earth and, searching for a proper DEM, I arrived to your awesome project. I've just downloaded the layers from GitHub but I'll need a DEM for making some Spatial Analysis. I would like to ask you if you could send me a raster DEM layer or the contours in order to make my own raster layer with ArcGis.
I will not earn money for this, it will be all for educational purposes and, of course, you will be in the acknowledgment.

Thanks

on: January 17, 2016, 03:30:45 am 
Webhosts can be such a pain that way. I'm looking forward to whatever you will put up  :)

on: January 16, 2016, 10:46:59 pm 
Started by elenaran - Last post by monks
I'm in the process of setting a new website up. My last one was deleted by my ISP because I owed them a fiver...d*cks...well this is late to the party :-D...

monks

on: January 16, 2016, 06:59:52 pm 
Hello everyone,

I'm restarting my push for a new webmap. To support that, I have put some of the GIS data on GitHub. As with all ME-DEM data, we prefer that anyone who uses it explains what they are using it for. But we do approve most personal and educational uses. Contributors are always welcome.

https://github.com/jvangeld/ME-GIS

on: December 01, 2015, 05:38:03 pm 
Started by elenaran - Last post by pacolwell
Hello Monks,
I realize that this conversation is ancient history, but my interest is in the same vein as Singalen's. I teach a GIS course at the College of William and Mary (a small liberal arts school in Virginia), and I often have need of interesting data layers to attract prospective students to my class. I would greatly appreciate it if you would share with me any geophysical vector files (I saw mention of *shp) that you have created for Middle Earth. Of course, I will understand if you would rather not distribute elements of your landscape; as a geospatial analyst I realize that creating and editing data is a meticulous process. For what it's worth, I assure you that my interests are purely academic, in every sense of the word.

on: November 20, 2015, 07:10:51 am 
Started by monks - Last post by mapmachiner
Hi, I am about to start CNC machining wooden terrain models of fascinating places around the world, but I would really like to make some out of middle earth as well. Is it possible to get a terrain map of middle earth into Arcmap? I would take specific areas of the map and export a dem file of it to Google SketchUp. Once I get it into SketchUp, I can then get it into my CAM software to machine it out.

on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:26 am 
Started by monks - Last post by Redrobes
Hello Skol,

I guess technically the forum posts at the guild are still live but not a lot has been happening with the MeDem for a while now.

We have seen that there is an alpha release of some functionality in Outerra that now supports rivers and lakes but its not quite official but it looks promising. I expect that we will be able to export some more layer information we have into something that can be applied to the Outerra engine to make it show these rivers and lakes.

I run a lot of Linux too and so I have only limited capability to run Outerra. I think it might get a port to Linux one day but I expect it will be a long time coming. They seem to have a lot of graphics driver issues to keep on top of without going to open sourced ones as well.

The MeDem native format is at 40K square but its very very large and usually not something that we can upload. Monks keeps the original set done in Global Mapper. I don't think its changed a great deal since 2012 but I am not sure about the dates when the last set of big changes went in. I am not sure that from an RPG perspective that you would get a lot more out of it even if it were 4x the res. We still don't have any towns and cities in it. What we could have done with were places put down in 3D models for some of the more prominent places. Outerra does a wonderful job of generating fractal wavelets when the terrain data runs out so it looks a lot better in Outerra videos than we have natively. But Monks is the guy who is custodian of the data. I write the tools to make it into something we can export to Outerra.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10