Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: 8 bit Heightmap [for Minecraft]?  (Read 121452 times)

Morcrist

• View Profile
Re: 8 bit Heightmap [for Minecraft]?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 05:01:21 am »

Is putting a model into Outerra something a layman could do (i.e., myself)?

If so could you point me to a resource describing the process? I'd really appreciate it.

Nevermind, found it here!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:05:17 am by Morcrist »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »

Go go go!!

monks

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 03:24:51 am »

Hey monks and/or Redrobes, I was wondering if you could help me out with something. I downloaded and installed GIMP in the hopes that it could let me work with larger image sizes, and it did.

So I made a new 20,000 x 20,000 and started to import the tiles you sent me starting with x=0, y=0 in the top left corner, but I started noticing some odd things. Pics are worth a thousand words, or so the saying goes so here:

Problem spot #1: the black/eroded border along the bottom of y=1. Why is that there?

Problem spot(s) #2: y=2 and y=3 tiles don't match up. I circled some of the more glaring examples.

EVERYTHING matches up perfectly left to right, on the x axis.

Anyway, hope you can shed some light on what's going on. I'll try and finish mosaic'ing the tiles so I can get a look at the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Here's a jpg of the entire thing without green/red lines so you can more easily see the non-matching parts: http://morcrist.com/images/minecraft/topleft_big.jpg. You may want to right-click and save-as that sucker. My Firefox just crashed when I tried to load it in the browser. :O
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:33:36 am by Morcrist »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 08:56:40 am »

Have you opened 3,2 and checked it prior to Gimp?

It could be the tile export from World Machine was corrupted. Very occasionally it will do something like that. Looks like tile blending.

monks

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 10:51:07 am »

Monks, where are these tiles from ? Are they pre-blended set or something. It looks like some tiles from WM but it doesn't appear to be anything from the make build since GTS doesnt do that kind of erosion. We will have to sort out some extra export stages for people and run a texture pass which renders out the height as a linear ramp to PNGs. Thats about three of these exports we need now.

Anyways, the answer from me is I don't know whats going on there !

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 10:56:20 am »

I'd just got out of bed when I looked at these...I can see it's either Gimp loading them incorrectly or WM export. Have you tried opening say tile 3,2 in Photoshop? It could be WM or  Gimp. I might still have the tmd that I outputted the tiles with..I'll have a look.

monks

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2014, 12:49:27 pm »

Have you opened 3,2 and checked it prior to Gimp?

It could be the tile export from World Machine was corrupted. Very occasionally it will do something like that. Looks like tile blending.
Oh, yes. A week ago when I first got them I opened them up in Paintshop Pro and absentmindedly noticed some of these "artifacts" but didn't pay them much mind not having much experience with this kind of thing. Plus since the tiles were so big I was only opening up one at a time (i.e., the Lonely Mountain tile, the x=3 y=4 tile for Moria/Isengard, etc.)

It was only in the last few days when I started trying to mosaic a couple of them together that it became readily apparent something was going on. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, "Looks like tile blending." If you look at the bottom right corner of the map you can see where it looks exactly like that. There's a thick river that looks blended into the mountains, not eroded out of it. And now that I look closer at the y=2 tiles I can see some more evidence of what looks like more than one thing getting blended together.

And for the record, I am loading these from the original BMPs I downloaded from google. I stuck them all in a directory and copied them out to another directory I was doing things to so these are the originals. Google zipped them up before I could download them, but I don't see how that could have such drastic effect on them?

I really appreciate you taking the time to check this out!

EDIT: Kind've changing the subject...I don't know if you guys are familiar with Ventrilo, but it's a simple voice chat program I use with some friends/family. It also has text chat which we actually use more than the voice part. Anyway, I've got a voice chat server I pay for that I'm pretty much on the entire time I'm at my computer. I started using it back when I played WoW, plus it's pretty much the only way I keep in touch with one of my younger brothers (Nazghash).

I'd love for you guys to get on sometime for a chat! You'd have to download and install the client, but it's a very simple/unobtrusive program. I'm GMT -6. If you guys are in England (like I suspect) timing the chat may be our biggest difficulty. :P

If you do decide to get on, my server info is: morcrist.typefrag.com, and the port is 49450. There is no password. Get on and hit the Chat button on the right to get in the text chat part. One of its main attractions is the ability to paste links when you're talking.

I leave my computer on a lot, so if I'm on but unresponsive remember that and the fact that I'm GMT -6.

Anyway,
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:58:05 pm by Morcrist »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »

Problem with WM bmp tile output confirmed.
 It did the same thing again with another output. It could be any of the following:
WM version. I can try another.
flipper device which flips the tile vertical axis. Necessary because of the import tile set. There does seem to be an issue within WM with tile coherency after the flipper in the network. Again, this bug could be version dependent.
bmp format. try another.

The worst case scenario I think is it's the flipper because that will create work...I could run the perl flip script I've got here actually which would do it in like a milisecond.

i'll take a look at it later on.

monks

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2014, 04:48:33 pm »

I think there are 2 separate problems here making things a bit confusing.
The tiles exports are broken. Both in bmp and tga. Strange that. That suggests it's not the tiled export causing the problem. They can't both be broken- very unlikely.
The flipper device creates incoherence in the viewports but I'm not sure if it's responsible for the tiles being broken, but I suspect it is. So I'm going to have to export a tiles set without the flip on it and check them.

//the flip is creating the errors. I just exported an unflipped set as bmp and reimported. I have no problems with the tile coherance in the vewiport.
 I don't think I can run the script on them because the flip here is not the same thing. This is individual tiles being flipped, not a tile set position.
 I didn't export them with the flip and to be honest I get kind of lost with what workflow needs what flip. So I think this set will be ok.
 I'll upload a new set later.

Format must be 32 bit RGB or something...I have no control over that.

monks
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:03:10 pm by monks »

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2014, 03:03:38 am »

Thank you so much for looking into this for me. If I have to manually flip each tile, no problem.

Eagerly awaiting the new set, at your convenience. No rush!

Take care.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2014, 10:38:51 am »

Let me know if you have them downloaded so I can delete them. My GD is maxed out :)

Next set...soon as we can. It's already closer to where it needs to be.......

monks

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 12:52:50 pm »

I'm sorry, but now I'm confused. You had said, "So I think this set will be ok. I'll upload a new set later." I then replied that I was eagerly awaiting this new set and then you said, "Let me know if you have them downloaded...." And finally you said, "Next set...soon as we can."

Lol? I checked the GD and it appears to be the same, old tiles? Last modified 1/26.

If I'm just an idiot, then yeah. I apologize! :P I downloaded those the first day you had them up and you can go ahead and wipe them.

If I'm missing something, please let me know.

EDIT: Now I see that I am in fact an idiot. I missed the new email. Derp.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:02:09 pm by Morcrist »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 01:02:16 pm »

;D ...Minecraft set is up on GD...ME-DEM release terrain in the works.
deleting...deleting...now!

monks

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2014, 01:29:10 pm »

Gotta' run to work. Quickly looking at a couple of the ones that weren't working LAST set...looks good. I'll do some mosaic'ing when I get home, Lord willing.

Thanks again so much guys!

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2014, 06:16:54 am »

Got half the map mosaicked and it looks awesome. Definitely fixes all the problems, monks. Thank you SO much.

I made two 20k x 20k maps so far out of (x=0-3; y=0-3) and (x=0-3; y=4-7). Got to get to bed for now.

Thanks again!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8