Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
 on: August 30, 2015, 10:58:18 am 
Started by monks - Last post by skol
Hello,
I'm observing the ME-DEM project since more than three years. As a tolkien fan (and playing pen and paper rolepaying games with middle earth settings) I'm really fascinated by the maps of the ME-DEM project. In my opinion ME-DEM is true reference standard for middle earth maps. I watched all the Outerrea demo videos, but as a Linux guy, I'm not able to use Outerra  :'(  (I know a Linux version is announced since years, but I lost the confidence that this will ever happen).
I registered in this forum because this seems to be the official forum for the ME-DEM Project and the forum thread at cartographers guild seems to be dead.
For a "non-Outerra-compatible-user" the "best" result of the ME-DEM project is the monks' posting  of 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM, sharing the  topographic map generated in Global Mapper, split into 4 tiles at 5000 pixels. I really would like to use this map as a reference for my P+P RGP campaign, but as a campaign map it has not enough details. Monks wrote that the 5k tiles represent only one quarter of the map's original resolution. Therefore I hope that some "veterans" in this forum can give me a hint, how to obtain the full resolution of the ME-DEM topographic map.
Cheers
skol

on: July 22, 2015, 12:26:48 pm 
Started by monks - Last post by Redrobes
Hi Marius, That looks great and its brilliant to see that MeDem has been an inspiration for people to make things from it. I haven't seen any video yet of MeDem using Outerra where it has had the clouds showing so this is a bit of a first.

I think when Outerra can support lakes and water features without having to use textured polygon models for them then I think we will try to export some more of the data we have to enable that feature. I think then we will see Anduin and some more of the famous features within the land come to life.

on: July 17, 2015, 11:52:07 am 
Started by monks - Last post by HaarigerHaary
Hi, my name is Marius from Germany.
Two Friends and I did a little video for a university project using MeDem. We really enjoyed this Masterpiece of 3D Middle Earth. We imported some SketchUp models at some places to give the viewer some eye candy and a point to hold on as we are flying pretty fast. The way we traveled in Outerra is based on the Aragorns journey through Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings. We also added some of our favourite scores and movie sequnces. We would have loved to fly a little slower to let the viewer enjoy the view, but we had a little time limit :)

I hope you guys enjoy our little Video as much as we enjoyed doing it!

Big thanks for MeDem

link: (make sure you watch in HD :D)

on: May 08, 2015, 01:57:28 am 
Started by vellum - Last post by vellum
Monks / RR

I've made some small updates to the castle, but I left out the door at the entry balcony LOL so I need to go back in and fix that.  The meshes are still in a questionable state but I'll see about exporting it in collada / obj / 3ds so you guys can play with putting it in play where ever the world needs it!!  same link  http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=30409

PM's inbound

on: May 04, 2015, 01:30:22 pm 
Ah no good deed goes unpunished LOL.   I started this with the towers, so today I'm trying to get rid of the vertical line at the entry and entry tower and what do I find, I apparently didn't have my z axis locked when I extruded the tower originally!!  So now I have to try and correct this little bugger.   I suspect that my meshes are a nightmare, but such is the learning process, I'll keep plugging at this.  One thing I really didn't consider when I started was scale.  I drew up the plan and elevation in autocad, converted the images to pdfs, then to photoshop to make jpgs/pngs to use as a background image.  I started working on the model, then realized I needed a human sized object, which is way to big for the model. I think the model will need to be globally scaled up at least 2x.

All in all though I still consider this a success, as I am more knowledgeable in blender than when I started.  Thanks for the offer on texture help, we'll see what comes next  :)  Blender has an internal render engine called "cycles render", so far pretty much all I know about it is watching one tutorial, so my skills are very limited. 

Might be a bit before I get this finished up, I can only work on this an hour or so a day atm.

Vellum

on: May 04, 2015, 10:28:58 am 
Started by vellum - Last post by monks
Looking good man...I've been doing some texturng of late in Max, so I could easily help with that. You were saying about lighting...in Max I'd like to set up a camera based ambient occlusion shader. Basically it's applied to the camera itself so everything gets shaded from one source, rather than having to set up each texture individually. Mental Ray I believe. It makes models look better- the effect is quite significant. Any place to download it? If you're n to finished with it yet...there's no hurry. :-)
 Robes mentioned something about Augmented Reality in Blender being pretty good. I was applying with a plugin in Max...but the results were less than inspiring. I was going to look at open source AR....well that's a completely different subject anyway.

monks

on: May 03, 2015, 02:10:08 am 
Here be the link http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=30409  I've changed the front entry to an arched recess with an arched door, this isn't shown on the render on CG.  I've got to learn about lighting to get some better renders. 

on: May 01, 2015, 11:18:48 am 
Started by monks - Last post by monks
Hi John...nice to meet you!

Yes, things are in a bit of a lull at the moment but it'll pass. We have a long history.... ;D

monks

on: May 01, 2015, 11:16:57 am 
Started by vellum - Last post by monks
oh thanks!..you got a link to it please?  8)

monks

on: April 25, 2015, 01:05:11 pm 
Hey Monks / RR 

I've posted up a castle over on CG in the 3d forum.  Just a blender model atm, no textures etc.  Needs some mesh cleanup and the windows added,once I clean that up you guys are welcome to plop it in the world somewhere if you like.

V

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10