Middle-Earth World > General Discussion

Rendering some maps

<< < (2/8) > >>

jvangeld:
That is a really nice render. Between you and Hellricer the GIS files are really improving.

Just to get this ME-DEM reunion really cooking, I sent SeerBlue an e-mail.

monks:
 :D I'm still in contact with Seer on FB. I have a project that works with Global Mapper 14- which is the GM I have. I have World Machine projects in WM 2.3 Professional 64 bit edition.
 Global Mapper contacted me yaknow two years ago because they were looking for projects that they could showcase using their software. Nothing came of it- probably because the project was in remission.
 To make it happen it needs the following:

Someone other than me with Global Mapper.
 Someone other than me with World Machine.
 Someone other than me with Outerra.
 HFZ support being reinstated in Global Mapper- speak to Mike over there. If someone gets a recent copy the support for it almost certainly won't be in there anymore. I did get Mike to reinstate it once after he inadvertently forgot to include it- there are like over a 100 formats that it supports.
 It is possible to do it without HFZ support but HFZ is way better than the other option .bt.
 Someone with a powerful PC. The World Machine renders that knit all of the output from GM into a tile set for Outerra take days. World Machine adds all the erosion and blends stuff together.

Obviously it would need Brano's support (mapressor) getting it into Outerra. I *think* he would be ok with it given enough interest. Someone also needs to run mapressor- but most people with Outerra could do it.

I do have the workflow I used in a text file- not that you'd need to follow it exactly...you might get away with not using World Machine...but I can't see any other program out there being the right fit for the job- all round.

The project would need storage- we used to use Oshyan Greene's ftp...but something else would be necessary now.

That's just to touch base camp on it.

I think 2013 was the last year we worked on it...possibly into early 2014..I've got the project spread over 6 hard disks...backups...it appears I've probably got it duplicated 2 or 3 times. The last Global Mapper file is dated early 2013, a zipped format .gmp at 3.7 GB.

Me, personally, I think Outerra is the community to pitch this at. It's the only renderer that could do it justice- sheer scale, and geoerffed.

monks

monks:
I'm going to just cut to the chase and post about this on the Outerra Boards. I'm pretty sure I've got all the data and I know what's needed. I'll probably drop Brano an email too since I think the Outerra community is the best place for this.

monks

bburns:
I hope you find some maintainers - I posted a map to reddit, and mentioned that you're looking for people - https://www.reddit.com/r/lotr/comments/dncyxc/map_of_middle_earth/.

And we moved the curved labels to jvangeld's ME-GIS repo, and I added the 10k DEM to the arda repo, so other people could play around with it - https://github.com/bburns/arda.

I might not have much time for the map for a while, but hope to get back to it eventually!

monks:
Yeh, don't panic Brian, this release of the data was not aimed at you!  ;D lol You've done some good stuff with the maps. Any interest is great. I've posted a link to your stuff on FB.

Personally I doubt if anyone will be forthcoming, but it's worth a go. Brano has offered to put the data on their server. He also mentioned a Google Drive. So, I think hosting of the data can be worked out.

monks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version