Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 40230 times)

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 12:10:41 pm »

I don't think the deadline really applies now. We have a new release coming up, biomes 1.2, and after that we'll have the final terrain we can commit to for 3D models. that will be weeks, not months. ASAHP

monks

necro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 05:27:16 pm »

Good day,

I am thomas from Leipzig, which you can find in germany/saxony. I know LotR the half of my live (i am 28 now) and i am a huge fan by the first second. Contributing something is my biggest goal here, because this project unites everything i like: Outerra and ME. So i will stay curious to see which progress is going on here.

John514

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 07:53:04 pm »

Hello everyone! I`m John from Greece. I`m a big fan of LOTR style worlds and I immediately got hooked in Outerra, since detail is also one of my weak spots!
I will contribute with 3D models if I get round to it. I mainly model for trainz simulator right now. Basic stuff!

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 01:29:22 pm »

Hi John and welcome. Its been a bit quiet of late around here. We did some work on the Outerra MeDem terrain and textures but I have not seen it released yet so I think there is some new stuff out soon - ish. But for the 3D modelling we have not done a great deal. Would like to see some more 3D models in MeDem but Monks and I are both pretty tied up with other stuff at the mo.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 11:18:48 am »

Hi John...nice to meet you!

Yes, things are in a bit of a lull at the moment but it'll pass. We have a long history.... ;D

monks

HaarigerHaary

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2015, 11:52:07 am »

Hi, my name is Marius from Germany.
Two Friends and I did a little video for a university project using MeDem. We really enjoyed this Masterpiece of 3D Middle Earth. We imported some SketchUp models at some places to give the viewer some eye candy and a point to hold on as we are flying pretty fast. The way we traveled in Outerra is based on the Aragorns journey through Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings. We also added some of our favourite scores and movie sequnces. We would have loved to fly a little slower to let the viewer enjoy the view, but we had a little time limit :)

I hope you guys enjoy our little Video as much as we enjoyed doing it!

Big thanks for MeDem

link: (make sure you watch in HD :D)

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2015, 12:26:48 pm »

Hi Marius, That looks great and its brilliant to see that MeDem has been an inspiration for people to make things from it. I haven't seen any video yet of MeDem using Outerra where it has had the clouds showing so this is a bit of a first.

I think when Outerra can support lakes and water features without having to use textured polygon models for them then I think we will try to export some more of the data we have to enable that feature. I think then we will see Anduin and some more of the famous features within the land come to life.

skol

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 10:58:18 am »

Hello,
I'm observing the ME-DEM project since more than three years. As a tolkien fan (and playing pen and paper rolepaying games with middle earth settings) I'm really fascinated by the maps of the ME-DEM project. In my opinion ME-DEM is true reference standard for middle earth maps. I watched all the Outerrea demo videos, but as a Linux guy, I'm not able to use Outerra  :'(  (I know a Linux version is announced since years, but I lost the confidence that this will ever happen).
I registered in this forum because this seems to be the official forum for the ME-DEM Project and the forum thread at cartographers guild seems to be dead.
For a "non-Outerra-compatible-user" the "best" result of the ME-DEM project is the monks' posting  of 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM, sharing the  topographic map generated in Global Mapper, split into 4 tiles at 5000 pixels. I really would like to use this map as a reference for my P+P RGP campaign, but as a campaign map it has not enough details. Monks wrote that the 5k tiles represent only one quarter of the map's original resolution. Therefore I hope that some "veterans" in this forum can give me a hint, how to obtain the full resolution of the ME-DEM topographic map.
Cheers
skol

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:26 am »

Hello Skol,

I guess technically the forum posts at the guild are still live but not a lot has been happening with the MeDem for a while now.

We have seen that there is an alpha release of some functionality in Outerra that now supports rivers and lakes but its not quite official but it looks promising. I expect that we will be able to export some more layer information we have into something that can be applied to the Outerra engine to make it show these rivers and lakes.

I run a lot of Linux too and so I have only limited capability to run Outerra. I think it might get a port to Linux one day but I expect it will be a long time coming. They seem to have a lot of graphics driver issues to keep on top of without going to open sourced ones as well.

The MeDem native format is at 40K square but its very very large and usually not something that we can upload. Monks keeps the original set done in Global Mapper. I don't think its changed a great deal since 2012 but I am not sure about the dates when the last set of big changes went in. I am not sure that from an RPG perspective that you would get a lot more out of it even if it were 4x the res. We still don't have any towns and cities in it. What we could have done with were places put down in 3D models for some of the more prominent places. Outerra does a wonderful job of generating fractal wavelets when the terrain data runs out so it looks a lot better in Outerra videos than we have natively. But Monks is the guy who is custodian of the data. I write the tools to make it into something we can export to Outerra.

mapmachiner

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2015, 07:10:51 am »

Hi, I am about to start CNC machining wooden terrain models of fascinating places around the world, but I would really like to make some out of middle earth as well. Is it possible to get a terrain map of middle earth into Arcmap? I would take specific areas of the map and export a dem file of it to Google SketchUp. Once I get it into SketchUp, I can then get it into my CAM software to machine it out.

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2019, 09:23:21 pm »

Hey, gang.

I'm obsessed with Tolkien's world since childhood, so this forums is like my dream come true!
I was aware that this data exists, but since I couldn't get the outerra demo working and I thought it's only available in some proprietary Global Mapper format, I kinda forgot about it until I've found that there are shapefiles on github.

I'm afraid i'm kind of “late to the party”, but I hope that there are still some people who would be willing to answer some of my questions.

If you're interested, check out a blog-post about a Middle-earth related project I did few years ago: https://hellricer.github.io/2015/04/30/genes-in-middle-earth.html
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:00:03 pm by hellricer »
Pages: 1 2 [3]