Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rendering some maps  (Read 17626 times)

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
Re: Rendering some maps
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »

I've just opened the global mapper package file in GM 14.2.3 which was the latest one I used in the workflow. It is a zipped .gmp file at 3.6 GB. Not tested its compatibility with the latest version of GM. All of the necessary filers are zipped in that file. There are a vast number of other files and packages and projects which are not included in that file as they are not needed for the Outerra build run. As a whole all of this comprises the project data.
 There is also a workflow .txt which details the workflow I used. There are also lots of other procedures and processes outlined in that too.

I'm going to have poke around today and determine which files are the central ones to the project. Get some kind of idea of what's what.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 04:21:50 pm by monks »

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 01:56:19 pm »

Hey monks, is there any update? I'm mainly interested in the workflow textfile you mentioned to get better understanding of the overall process.

I had set up both GM and WM and have made some progress in learning how to use them.

Also, I'm still a bit confused about the 10K DEM - I noticed that it's combined from four parts with quite noticeable "seams" in the middle. As I understood it, it was generated from vector contours data, right? Are those available anywhere? (I suppose it's not the 'Contours_18' layer in GIS, which is much less detailed.)

Thanks a lot!

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 03:32:48 pm »

The stuff is on my google drive. I need to go back in and find the latest project again. I did find it and I marked the hard drive with "latest"  :D So, I could give you access but it would prob be confusing and frustrating for you right now. It wouldn't take me long to track the project down and identify it. There's other stuff too which ism;'t on the google drive yet but it's more periphery- not core. I need to sit down and identify which projects are the latest- it ended up being split into multiple projects. There is one huge one which won't open -but I splintered projects off from it. So, I can do it at the w/e or before and let you have access to the drive and any updates you if I have any.

monks

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2020, 10:56:19 am »

You got a gmail address mate?

monks

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2020, 11:35:28 pm »

sent you pm

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2020, 11:58:39 pm »

ok you got access...I'm looking at the hard drive again with the latest dataset on it...will let you know when I pinpoint the most relevant files.

monks

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 12:12:15 am »

Latest files looked at by me...

workspaces (gmw) and package files (gmp)

2011_Update149.gmw
2011_CurrentWorkspace.gmw
New_Mountain_Extents.gmw
New_Mountains_Extents22.gmp

One of these may be the very large one which had everything in it- which didn't load. The other ones are subsets of the larger one.
 All of the shp files are stored in them but also separately too. There may be shp files in the external folder that are not in any of the gmps or gms..quite possible.

I suggest downloading the entire folder. There's a file missing from the first workspace...not sure if that's important...

monks

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:33:22 am by monks »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2020, 01:17:25 pm »

I've found the missing file from the project. I'm in the process of uploading another set of folders today. They may duplicate some stuff in there but I do know that there is some stuff in them that is not in the existing folders.

monks

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:31 pm »

Awesome, you're a saint. I opened the largest gmp file without a problem and it seems that most of the layers are there.

I'll now try to get familiar with the data. The amount of work behind this project is just mind-bending...

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 08:56:58 pm »

Cool...which one are you referring to? What's the name of it?

monks

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:05 pm »

I tried New_Mountain_Extents.gmw and New_Mountain_Extents_20.gmp. The latter seems to be most complete and loads without any errors.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:18:17 pm by hellricer »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 10:08:41 pm »

Ah yes, tracking stuff down at the moment. I think there may well be other files that are not on the google drive right now. I will take a look at the listed files here.

The Minecraft team are considering moving over to Outerra btw. They contacted Brano. Did I mention that they wanted to use the project? If it goes through it could be good news for MEDEM. They're going to warp the data in Photoshop using a smart object. What that means is we can warp the layers to using the same warp settings in the layer, after the fact- just drop things in and they will be auto warped to the exact same settings. It will all be done at 20K. Some info will be lost from downsampling the 40K layer but it's worth it. That layer is just used as 'fill' between the other layers.
 The non-terrain layers (vector layers) can be warped as rasters and then converted back into vectors (.shp files) painlessly using software like WinTopo.

I'm looking at restoring my WinTopo license at the moment. I did find a license key they sent me on my backup hds. Last time I used it was 2012!

monks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:15:59 pm by monks »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 10:50:24 pm »

I just opened the file. There are absolutely loads more layers than that hellricer. For starters there's no terrain in there. There are prob 150 vector layers missing from this and all the terrain which includes the base dem, the mountains, Mordor and the fill layer. They were all kept separate in the end because of the sheer size of it. So it's a case of tracking down the terrain layers that are the most recent. All of the .shps layers are in the SHP folder...they're the vectors.

monks
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:57:42 pm by monks »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 01:41:07 pm »

Copy of message in the GD share:

Hi Robert, going through files to send to the Minecraft team who want to use the data. This is the foundation topo. This file comes with the tfw and projection info so be sure to also download those too. You already have access to this directory but I'm just giving you the headsup as I go through these over the next few days. Those project files mentioned on the Outerra boards are a bit crap. There are way better ones.

Map88_20k. There are also .prj and .tfw as mentioned.

monks

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 07:02:28 pm »

Hey, monks, thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check it out.

I can give some update although I didn't get too far yet. First of all, thanks a lot for sharing everything!

I managed to download (hopefully) everything important for the World Machine sessions. Sadly, most of the latest project files are way too complex for my current setup (I have 16gb ram, but I'm running the WM on linux through Windows emulator which is probably why it always crashes while building the project.) Also, there's one File Input which is unnamed and I couldn't deduce what it's supposed to be...

So far I managed to build '30_09_12_New_Hills_Mask_4.tmd' project, which is not as complex as the 'Build_*' projects...

Now I'll have (obviously) much more time to dive into it again, so I hope I'll make some progress with building the 40k successfully.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:07:53 pm by hellricer »
Pages: 1 [2] 3