Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Best way to contribute?  (Read 4374 times)

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
Best way to contribute?
« on: July 18, 2019, 06:12:41 pm »

Hello, I just found the me-gis repository on github and I'm completely astonished by it!

I'm trying to create OSM-style map from this, but I found some mistakes & innacuracies, which leads me to the question...

As I understand it, the files presented in the github repo are basically just exports from probably much bigger dataset, right? So what would be the best to contribute back? I'm not sure I can run Global Mapper on linux...

I'm editing the files in qgis and exports to OpenLayers or Leaflet works really great!

jvangeld

• View Profile
Re: Best way to contribute?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 06:47:14 pm »

Hey Hellricer, I'm glad that you are working with the data! We have some additional shapefiles that I haven't uploaded. But the shapefiles on GitHub are the most up-to-date and detailed versions of themselves. I also use qgis. I'm glad that Leaflet is working for you. The custom coordinate system that we use is weird and often doesn't play nicely with webmaps.

Have you worked with Git before? Here is a tutorial: https://product.hubspot.com/blog/git-and-github-tutorial-for-beginners If you have a branch of the data and submit a pull request, I will approve it so that we can incorporate your changes.

hellricer

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 08:50:04 am »

Great to hear that! And yeah, I'm familiar with git.

I mainly work on adding and clearing up the names of features instead of creating them.
I noticed that there are lot of names of forests, rivers, etc., in Combined Placenames layer that are not in their respective layers.
There's also lot of non-canon stuff there from places like lotro, merp and even some tabletop games. I'm not necessarily against keeping them in, but I'd vouch for making the distinction clear between them and canon.

And last but not least, I think it would be nice to introduce some kind of naming hierarchy system which could be used for showing only the relevant stuff based on the zoom level.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:48:15 am by hellricer »

jvangeld

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:41:17 am »

I just added a number of additional shapefiles to the repository. Namely, Citadels, Hamlets, Secondary Roads, Stonefields, TertiaryRoads, TowersAndKeeps, Vulcanism and Wetlands. Vulcanism and Wetlands should be of particular interest, since both of those include some important places.