Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Amon Hen  (Read 26541 times)

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
Re: Amon Hen
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »

Here's the new site wip. There are now no other hills which dominate that vacinity so they would be natural sites for the seats. They're both roughly just over 2000 ft high, 600m or so. That's the elevation given by Strachey. I can't see any elevations in Fonstad and there are no other to my knowledge...unless I check the ICE.
 They're not too steep or high so I think they're realistic climbs for Hobbits in the allotted time... ;D I might have to take the Amon Hen a bit back to avoid getting those cliffs because Parth Galen needs to be there- I'll see what I can do with that..
 The river course is a bit adrift. It's a case of either altering it in the maps a little to the left, or shifting Amon Hen a little to the right. I'm not sure which to do at the moment. The whole river and falls needs a bit more attention.
 Again, the water level will be up to the top of those plygons in the island.

monks

monks

vellum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:12:01 am »

Hey that's looking good  :) Thanks for showing me the update gives me an idea how it will be situated with the surrounding terrain. I'm still tied up with the kitchen remodel, no water or wastelines (the whole house, baths etc) hooked back up atm.  So if I'm kinda sparse I'm not ignoring ya all, just working my but off LOL.  I've been reading the posts but I'm more brain dead when I do, so once I'm through this remodel I'll reread them to fully appreciate what you've got going on.  Thanks again for keeping me updated.
good journeys

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35:53 pm »

The surface of Nen Hithoel will be around 5900m (subtract 5486 to get the actual height above sea level) = 414m. We need to create the Parth Galen, the grassy sward aaround the lake perimeter where Frodo and co landed. Fonstad has it at around 400 feet across at its wider points. That's 1 or 2 pixels in our terrain model. It's barely visible but it will make a difference once it's there. At the moment the hills run too close to the water's edge and there's no room for a natural landing so I need set it somehow.
 The first pic shows the lake level at 5900m (414m). That looks about right for setting it once Outerra lakes happen. We have no figures for how high Rauros was, but we are limited to the height between the lake level and the lowest point in the marshes to the south. I did include this as a consideration when I created the terrain model. I can create a flat area connecting up the lowest marsh level and the foot of the falls. The lowest area of marsh is at 5650m. So in theory if we wanted we could have Rauros as high as 5900-5650 = 250m, almost 1000 ft. But I think that's too high, plus we want to try preserve some slope in the land leading down into the marshes. Fonstad has the falls slope quite gradual, ie they're not a vertical fall, but I think it makes more sense to have them dramatic. There's a falls in Iceland that I've seen called Skogafoss which I think we should model Rauros on, but increasing its height quite a bit since it's only 60m high.
 http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7AgYq8ZU-1g/UPamtndtIzI/AAAAAAAALws/Z2G1bTaWQkw/s1600/Skogafoss.jpg

I think setting Rauros at around 146m/480 ft high is a good height. Here's the water level. I can get those cliffs around it fairly easily I think.

The only way this stuff will impact on Amon Hen is the creation of the Parth Galen which is where the route up to Amon Hen begins. So, not much really. Just stuff we have to start considering.  ;)

monks

vellum

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 03:09:59 pm »

Hey Monks this is looking better everytime I check in!!  I've not done any updates on Amon Hen for a couple of weeks, but will get back to this once I recover.  In the middle of the kitchen remodel, I picked up what I thought was a cold, turned out to be pneumonia, has put a bump in the road in the kitchen as well as Amon Hen LOL.. I've spent the last week mostly sleeping  :(, Dr said another week or so to get back to normal, don't even feel like surfing, now that's not feeling well  ;)

I honestly don't remember Parth Galen at all from reading the books many years ago.  Is there any descriptions of this location?  If there is I'd be interested in looking into them.
good journeys

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »

Monks, that does look cool.

Vellum, firstly I had to look up what the Parth Galen is. Its the shoreline where Frodo casts off the boat and Sam tries to swim after the boat - where Aragorn and Co split up.

Also, glad your better - we have extended periods of inactivity here so don't be alarmed at a few weeks away. This is a slow boat down the Anduin... and its a eves and weekends only project when I get half a chance and life seems to have a habit of removing a lot of those chances.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 01:34:46 am »

Hope you're on the mend now Vellum.  ;)

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Parth_Galen

Yes, I just need to cut a 1-2 pixel wide flat area next to the lake for the Parth Galen.

monks

vellum

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:14 pm »

Redrobes  thanks for the location of Parth Galen :) 
good journeys
Pages: 1 [2]