Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Multiple Planets  (Read 12465 times)

planetsim

• View Profile
Multiple Planets
« on: February 01, 2014, 06:36:18 am »

Hi,

I am currently building a rendering engine for a space flight simulator called Orbiter. It supports the simulation of the Solar System. I would love to try and integrate it with Outerra. Is it possible to have multiple planets in Outerra as the camera in Orbiter can zoom to any planet within our solar system.

PytonPago

• Global Moderator
  • It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Planets
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 08:46:17 am »

Hi,

I am currently building a rendering engine for a space flight simulator called Orbiter. It supports the simulation of the Solar System. I would love to try and integrate it with Outerra. Is it possible to have multiple planets in Outerra as the camera in Orbiter can zoom to any planet within our solar system.

OT team plans to do the whole Sol system when they ready whyte Earth - also a planet generator/creator should be made ... but it can take some 3-5 yrs.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

planetsim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:56:55 am »

Thanks and that is good news. In that case, I will start integrating this with Orbiter.

By the way I plan to use bullet physics too. Is it possibly for me to independently use Bullet in the same process/application in which Outerra is running ?

I guess that Outerra creates Bullet physics world using the Bullet library that its linked to statically. Can I use this too, for lets say navigating inside a space station orbitting Earth ?

cameni

• monster
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Outerra
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:29:39 am »

These are questions for the Outerra forum. A short answer - multiple planets aren't supported yet, and the focus is initially on simulation on planet Earth. In future there will be more bodies from our solar system, using available data.

Bullet - perhaps could be reused, but we aren't that far yet. We'll have to do several changes to it to make it more suitable to handle the scale first.

PytonPago

• Global Moderator
  • It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »

I guess that Outerra creates Bullet physics world using the Bullet library that its linked to statically. Can I use this too, for lets say navigating inside a space station orbitting Earth ?

Well see how the integration goes whyte implementing the "black box" - something like a sandbox objects scripts mod into OT. As for space-dynamics, im not sure, how well bullet handles mass-gravity type stuff. Doe, position of objects in the internal coordinate systems is no problem, making relations to other objects/Earth surface shouldn't be a problem ...

... Are you trying to toss Sauron out to the moon ? Im sure, Gandalf already found a magic spell for it - should be a backdoor to rocket and quantum physics problems in ME. You should talk to him. :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:21:02 pm by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:45:40 pm »

I heard some talk about issues with the Mars data the other day and also someone asking why there wasnt a moon image in outerra to which they replied its going to be a full planet moon so yes I think that the talk is of getting the whole solar system in place. I would doubt that it would do more than the solar system as floating point arithmetic gets weird with really big or small numbers which must be issued to render extreme sized areas. Theres some algorithms to mitigate that but my experience is that even with these about a solar system is as much as one could expect. I think they are actually going to do it tho.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:01:01 am »

I had the privalege of a sneak peak of Mars yesterday. It looks...well, exactly as you'd think it would if you've seen NASA WorldWind Mars, or other visualisations. But Outerra's will look a lot better at the surface since it has the hybrid fractal details at small scales.

monks

planetsim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »

Actually Orbiter has already solved the floating point issue and can simulate the Solar system to considerable detail, allowing spacecraft etc. It provides the capability to add custom graphics clients and a D3D9 & D3D11 client already exists and works quite well. I was thinking of using Bullet for short range stuff only like vehicles, characters etc.

Yeah I think the best way to do this would be to export out the planetary position data and the user's/camera's position and use that as input for the Outerra camera. The rest can be handled by Outerra itself. Of course spacecraft rendering will have to done on top of what Outerra itself renders when they are visible.