Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Model Intel-gathering - Edoras  (Read 9075 times)

PytonPago

• Global Moderator
  • It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
    • View Profile
Model Intel-gathering - Edoras
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

Hello there guys !

... wanted a longer time ago to contribute a little whyte some models into the ME-DEM world. Edoras is my hearths choice for that, just wanted to ask about any intel you cold topple your minds on this city, its architecture (actually an similar age and culture work from history would be great, so i could check on daily-life-customs and arch.-thinking in making buildings and its spaces) and most importantly - wood carving art-work (if there is a place to see those made for the film scenery, or just some artwork fan-site, it would be great).   That would give me some thinking and planning heads-up for the actual work - thanks to all in advance !

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
Re: Model Intel-gathering - Edoras
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:35:46 pm »

Hi Pyton, good to see you :)
 Will get back to you shortly on this one...

monks

DarkChipCoffee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:11:33 am »

Cool. Hopefully have some decent opposition up for the testimonial.

Davelue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:43 am »

I only just found the Outerra Anteworld and most important for me, the ME-DEM. I've lived and breathed Tolkien's world for decades. Recently we've been inundated with PJ's rendition of that world. I grew up way before the movies, and I was inspired and impressed by the work of the Brothers Hildebrandt. They had their own vision of ME, and in case anyone wants, check out at least some of their vision. Greg and Tim were my favorite modern painters and artists and if anyone has seen the very first movie poster of "Star Wars", with Luke holding his saber in the air and Vader's large head in the sky above, he knows what I'm getting at. In many ways it looks much better and may fit the reader's mind's eye more closely than the sometimes ugly looks of PJ's creation:

http://www.timefold.com/snapsite/hildebros/public/html/page5.html

Redrobes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:56:26 pm »

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. And thanks for posting - its been quiet around here for a while but we had an email from Cameni that the new version of Medem is working out on the new card with fixes so I am not sure if he released that or if its in the pipeline.

Cool artwork. I was always a fan of Rodney Matthews. He was somewhat local to my area and had a lot of his art in the local fantasy / sci-fi shop. He has done some LotR related art too which I can post a link to. Its of a similar older fashioned style than PJs.

http://www.rodneymatthews.com/posters.htm

Were ok with the PJ view of the world but at MeDem it absolutely has to fit with the text of the book. I would prefer a more nuanced view than the full on epic action feature that was the film. Monks is more knowledgeable about the world than I tho.

jvangeld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 02:32:45 am »

It's striking how a lot of the architecture is described by Tolkien so well that most artists end up with similar renditions. That picture of Orthanc is very unique, though.