Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Similar project in Minecraft  (Read 6206 times)

Gandalfthewho

• View Profile
Similar project in Minecraft
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:37:52 am »

I learned about Outerra and the Middle-earth project a few weeks ago and had it downloaded and was playing in it within the hour. When I first zoomed out into orbit I pulled a Neo "woah". I don't know what level of detail is possible in this engine but I'm eager to see Middle-earth fleshed out with all the locales.

A day or two ago I learned of another project called Massive Middle-earth that is being done in Minecraft. It's really cool that projects like these have emerged, and quite a neat coincidence that they've emerged at roughly the same time, with similar goals. I'll be playing around with both as they progress. Personally I think the minecraft version would be best for a pre-third age map (before Arda was curved) and this version would be better for the third age and beyond (although I'd love to see Beleriand, Numenor and Aman in this engine, to hell with lore).

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
Re: Similar project in Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »

Hey dude, yes the Minecraft one is pretty awesome and has a lot of people working on it. I bet Moria would be really cool to map and explore.  :D
 We only have the vanilla textures at the moment in Outerra and biomes and textures are being developed right now. When they come online, expect to see a real visual leap forward again.
 I'm having a tinker with Max at the moment and I see that World Machine 2.3 now supports preservation of georef info in bt formats for export and also dxf import so I think building the sites just got a whole lot easier.
 Do you have any 3D modelling skills?

monks