Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Where can the GIS data be downloaded?  (Read 44400 times)

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
Re: Where can the GIS data be downloaded?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:31 am »

Ok cool. I've had my copy of Fonstad a few years now- I see she did a few other maps too- never knew that until I picked the book up a few weeks ago. ;) The files are on my Google Drive. Do you have a google account? I think I can give you access via an email address too.

Just generate your own contours from the dem.

monks

jvangeld

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 01:35:02 am »

Hey Monks,

I just logged in to look for the PM, but I'm not seeing it.  Any hints?

Jeremy

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 09:46:57 am »

message must have got lost...I've sent another ;)

monks

jvangeld

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 03:49:44 am »

Okay, so I started to build a webmap with the shapefiles on the MapBox stack.  (TileMill is the next big thing in town, and MapBox software Just Works (TM))  So, I went to label the cities, and I discovered that the cities did not have any names in the attribute table.  Most of the other shapefiles are the same way, no particularly useful attributes.  So, I am going to take ownership of the shapefiles and start adding attributes to them over the next couple of days.  When I am done, I will try to put them on GitHub so that we can work on them collaboratively in the future.  Oh, and then I will make a killer webmap.

Cheers,
Jeremy

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 08:35:14 pm »

Ah thanks Jeremy, I tend not to look at the attributes that much- names, elevations, stuff like that. I very rarely give features names actually, but with stuff like that, I can see it would be useful.
 Great news on the webmap  8)

monks

bloodwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:37 am »

Hey, I hope this will be seen! I didn't want to start an entirely new thread for a redundant question. Let me know if I should.

I am also interested in making a ArcGIS map of Middle Earth. I think it would be crazy fun for my GIS final, and maybe break up the monotony of the class (my professor is definitely not elenaran). If it would be alright by you, I'd like to use the GIS data to make some sort of spatial analysis map. Please let me know if this is an option! I have about three weeks for this project, so if I'm not able to get it within a week or so I'll have to end up doing a different topic, but no worries!

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:05 pm »

Hi Bloodwolf, welcome to the boards. :) I'd love to be able to help you but you have asked me at a bad time really. I'm in the middle of another game project. It's maxed out my hard drive and I have little or no room left to copy back in the project I'd need to, in order to generate you any really useful terrain data. I can't really generate the terrain from my backup hard drive where the files are now sitting because the project has file paths which are pointing to the other hard drive. The project wouldn't even load. Does that make sense? What's more even if I could generate the terrain data, you'd have to manually georef 16 tiles as I've not had chance to get the final terrain back into global mapper- which would save you the job. The data on the ftp is probably not of much use to you as it represents the project at a much more basic state: no rivers or mountain ranges.
 We are waiting to get the textures into the project, but that has also had to wait until I finish up with this game. Everything is on hold until I finish it really.
 Hope you can find another worthy and interesting project for your finals! And please stick around as the improved map with textures in Outerra will be well worth the wait!

monks

Morcrist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 07:11:36 pm »

I just posted my introduction, but thought I'd add my request for some kind of heightmap and/or data from which I can export one.

I've got Global Mapper installed (2 week trial) if that helps.

Basically I'm looking to recreate a reasonably scaled map of NW Middle-Earth in minecraft. It's for a private (non-commercial) server. I'm a long time (30+ years) Tolkien fan and I've got pretty much all of ICE's Rolemaster/MERP Middle-Earth modules. I figure a heightmap would GREATLY help me in my task. Heh. I can import it into World Painter for some base ground topography and then proceed to add rivers, lakes, and forests.

I don't know what a "reasonable" scale would be, but at least as detailed as this gentleman's WIP. He has roughly a 24000x24000 block map of NW Middle-Earth. This pic shows the extents. I wouldn't mind trying something higher, like 48000x48000, since some of the areas I'd like to import structures into seemed a bit small for a 1-1 scale structure.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, and take care.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 07:58:44 pm »

bloodwolf, you can get a copy of the terrain at 10k res if you're still interested. No doubt it's too late for your project, but it's on Google Drive. Let me know ;)

monks

singalen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2014, 09:07:04 pm »

Hi, may I also ask for a simple shapefile for a large-scale Middle Earth, or, maybe, whole Arda?
I'm leading a study project where I'm teaching pre-graduate school students programming and we're trying to create a GIS-like wiki and visualizer. We are http://higepedia.org (the site is in Russian).
Middle Earth would help to involve my students better.
One of our nearest plans is to draw animated maps, so we might draw an animation of Arda changes during its ages too :)
Thank you a lot.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:51 am »

Hi Singalen, Yes, I think we can help you. I can give you the dem at 10,000 pixels resolution and the shp files. Let me know if that would help. :)

monks

Caluchko

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 01:37:14 am »

Hi Monks,

I'm wondering if you could also share a lower-res DEM file (e.g. geotiff) with me. I have a blog (geovisualist.com) where I mess around with data visualization and the like, and I think it would be fun to look at the overall hypsometry of Middle Earth. Perhaps we could compare it to regular Earth and make some guesses at the erosional history or surface processes at work in Middle Earth.

Of course I'd give you full credit and would refrain from sharing any of your data without your consent.

Bravo on your project, by the way. Truly an awesome accomplishment!

pacolwell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 05:38:03 pm »

Hello Monks,
I realize that this conversation is ancient history, but my interest is in the same vein as Singalen's. I teach a GIS course at the College of William and Mary (a small liberal arts school in Virginia), and I often have need of interesting data layers to attract prospective students to my class. I would greatly appreciate it if you would share with me any geophysical vector files (I saw mention of *shp) that you have created for Middle Earth. Of course, I will understand if you would rather not distribute elements of your landscape; as a geospatial analyst I realize that creating and editing data is a meticulous process. For what it's worth, I assure you that my interests are purely academic, in every sense of the word.

jvangeld

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 06:59:52 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm restarting my push for a new webmap. To support that, I have put some of the GIS data on GitHub. As with all ME-DEM data, we prefer that anyone who uses it explains what they are using it for. But we do approve most personal and educational uses. Contributors are always welcome.

https://github.com/jvangeld/ME-GIS

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 10:46:59 pm »

I'm in the process of setting a new website up. My last one was deleted by my ISP because I owed them a fiver...d*cks...well this is late to the party :-D...

monks
Pages: 1 [2] 3