Outerra Worlds Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where can the GIS data be downloaded?  (Read 44510 times)

elenaran

• View Profile
Where can the GIS data be downloaded?
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:53:06 pm »

Hello, I'm trying to find the GIS data for this project. I've read that there are over 140 layers, but I can't seem to find the download location anywhere.

vellum

• View Profile
Re: Where can the GIS data be downloaded?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:37 pm »

elenaran, I think there is a link on CG site for the download.  I'll have to look it up
good journeys

vellum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »

http://www.cartographersguild.com/general-miscellaneous-mapping/1332-middle-earth-dem-project-37.html    Read this, there is a link to download site.  Monks can better tell you the deal when he logs in.
good journeys

elenaran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »

I only see the Outerra files there. I was under the impression there were standard GIS files too

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:22:59 am »

Hi Elenaran, yes we have a good number of data layers, but not as many as we would like. We have them in .shp format- well any format that Global Mapper can output. One of our members put up an online map- can't access the link at the mo though. Why do you ask?

monks

jvangeld

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 06:35:07 pm »

The map tiles are available at http://66.172.33.110/openlayers2.html

But, no, that isn't a .shp.  Monks, if I had access to those I could put together a webmap in Geoserver.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:26:47 pm »

I need to put a link to the map in the new website frontpage here:
http://www.me-dem.me.uk/

I think it needs an image like the galleries and vids, but say "online map". So I'll have to resize them so we can fit the 3 on there.
 Do you have ftp access from filezilla or something?

monks

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »

I've tracked down what I think are the latest Global Mapper project files- so many it's getting confusing! The latest update is 149 so you can imagine how many project files are on there  :o
Yeh, I have two core files. One for the Outerra stuff and one for general shp files- which used to be the core project file but the Outerra one has somwhat taken over now since it has all the up to date terrain in there.
 I'll have to compile all the shp files into one folder but prioritising what I think are the latest versions. So I'll have to add those last to overwrite any older versions. Then I can upload them to the ftp.
 I don't think merging the two projects would be a good idea since the shp one contains data which is rarely used -to date anyway. Saves loading it all in everytime you open the project.
 I also need to get the Outerra build terrain back into the GM project along with the GTS texture. And for the next build I'm going to alter the base dem fairly drastically- just respanning it- so the old base dem needs to be replaced too. We found that the base dem is too high...and that figures because the base dem was originally intended to cover the entire span of the terrain. But over the years a two layer approach evolved, so now we're adding stuff to the base dem- that's why we're getting very high terrain and lots of moorland in the GTS textures. I always figured we could respan the base dem once I'd decided to go the two layer route, but it was always scheduled for some distant time in the future as and when needed, so that's why it got forgotten about and overlooked.  ;D

monks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:12:29 pm by monks »

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:15:10 pm »

pm sent.

monks

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 11:25:25 pm »

I've created a link off the front page to the online map.

http://www.me-dem.me.uk/

monks

elenaran

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »

Yeah, I'm interested in the shapefiles. Is there an FTP somewhere?

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:21:07 am »

Elenaran, it would be useful if you could tell us what you plan to do with the files?

monks

elenaran

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »

Ah, well I teach a physical geography class, and I thought it would be cool if I could apply the topics we cover in class to a fictional world, such as Middle Earth. I was originally just going to use some map images from online, but they're all pretty poor in quality, and don't look how I want them to. I'm familiar with GIS, so I thought if someone had already made Middle Earth shapefiles, I could just make my own map.

monks

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ME-DEM Project
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »

Heh, wish we had teachers like that when I was at school  ;D
I don't know what level you are teaching it at so the files may be limited in use for you. I can upload the files to my googledrive.

We have:
 Forests
 Rivers
 lakes
 wetlands
 towns/cities etc
 vulcanism
 roads
 desert
 Some generalised geology. biome and climate layers from Fonstad and role playing sources.

The terrain....
 What software are you using to view it with? My partner here usually recommends not giving out full res data. You would have trouble with it anyway- especially the dem. I'll run off a 10K dem overnight and gen out some contours for you. I could give you the 10K dem too if you absolutely need it, but you could gen a dem from the contours if you have gridding in your software.

monks

elenaran

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:31:28 pm »

Yeah I definitely don't need the full super high resolution DEM. A resampled one is probably fine. I'm using ArcGIS.

The biome and climate layers from Fonstad might be good too - I love that book. Also, general stuff like forest, rivers, lakes, etc is good.
Pages: [1] 2 3